Turning Archive 2007

Subject:
3520a Head Stock Rocking: Help?

Jerry Hall
>I have been turning some heavy (35-40#) green oak blanks and have noticed that the head stock is rocking fore and aft. At first I thought it was just an out of balance blank and my poor tool control on a very rough blank. I have made sure that there is no play in my spindle and the chuck is steady. A hand on the bed and legs show those to be steady. Now that I have narrowed it down I can see the headstock rock and a gap of maybe .01" or more in the front. I can even rock it by grasping the hand wheel and the spindle.

I thought maybe it was the headstock lock. Mine is square (not round like the 3520b) and sometimes it wasn't seated. Now I check that carefully. I really pull up hard on the headstock lock bar, and even tried a rubber mallet. I believe my ways are clear and clean, but haven't taken the headstock off.

Today I made a curved wedge to fit under the motor mount to tilt the headstock forward, and that did the trick. But this is no long term solution.

I am afraid I am going to have to take the headstock off, check it for flat, and maybe have it machined if possible?

Any thoughts and help would be appreciated. I don't like my chances at this stage. I have a feeling this has always been this way, but I have just now become clearly aware of the problem.

© 1998 - 2017 by Ellis Walentine. All rights reserved.
No parts of this web site may be reproduced in any form or by
any means without the written permission of the publisher.

WOODCENTRAL, P.O. BOX 493, SPRINGTOWN, PA 18081