Turning Archive 2007

Subject:
Adding VS to a Jet Mini

Gary Evans Tallassee, TN
>Hi all,

Just got back from FL. Went down there after the SSS to help my brother-in-law move his stuff to TN. I had forgotten just what a long journey that can be.

Anyway, my friend in Key Biscayne GAVE me a 2 HP Grizzly dust collector which I'll be using in the new shop. He also has an older model Jet Mini (before they started painting them white,) which needs a motor. Rather than spend the bucks for a new Jet motor, he opted to purchase a new lathe.

Since he was out of town and since we had NO more room in the truck, I didn't try to put my hands on the lathe this trip, but I don't think it will take much conversation to get him to send it to me.

Now, the question is, if I get the lathe and add a VS motor to it, will I need to use the step pulley from the original motor? I know from my experience with adding a VS AC motor to my Woodfast that it is advantageous to be able to change the belts for really slow speeds, but is that necessary with the smaller pieces of wood that can be spun on the Jet? I'm pretty sure I have a 3/4 HP 3PH motor laying around. Just need to buy a controller for it.

Sorry for the ramble. When you haven't posted for awhile, it seems necessary.

Gary

© 1998 - 2017 by Ellis Walentine. All rights reserved.
No parts of this web site may be reproduced in any form or by
any means without the written permission of the publisher.

WOODCENTRAL, P.O. BOX 493, SPRINGTOWN, PA 18081