Turning Archive 2007

Subject:
Bonding corian to wood?

Dominic Greco in Richboro PA
>Hello Everyone,

Last year I was given a small sheet of blue-ish corian (about 12" x 18" x 5/8" thick). And since that time it's been sitting in my shop gathering dust.

No back several weeks ago I posted a question here asking about a source for 2" dia. clock inserts. I got some great responses and I ordered three (they were so inexpensive I figured that in case I wanted to turn a base for one, I could).

So here I am in my shop, holding a clock insert and trying to figure out a way to make a nice looking "desk clock". So I turn and out of the corner of my eye I see the Corian. Then I see my box of burl scraps. Then this idea comes to mind. The Corian is too thin to hold the clock insert by itself. So why not turn a base from some burl, and use the Corian as an accent inlay! I'm thinking of turning a burl "platter", about 4" to 5" in diameter, then gluing a 3" dia disc of Corian to it. Drill your 2 1/4" dia. hole for the clock insert, add some details, polish and your done!

Now, my question. How can I bond the Corian to the wood? I assume that the wood will move (with seasonal temperature shifts) while the Corian will not. Or is this an issue at all?

Thanks in advance.

See ya around,

My ugly mug

Dominic

© 1998 - 2017 by Ellis Walentine. All rights reserved.
No parts of this web site may be reproduced in any form or by
any means without the written permission of the publisher.

WOODCENTRAL, P.O. BOX 493, SPRINGTOWN, PA 18081