Turning Archive 2007

Subject:
Need chainsaw advice...a bit long

Steve Kubien
>Hi everyone,

Without getting into brand specifics and loyalties, I need help selecting a saw. This will be my first chainsaw nad I would like it to last a few years.

The question is, how big a saw do I need? I currently have a mini lathe but hope to upgrade to a Nova 1624 in the fall/winter. I can't see myself taking down any trees, just scavenging what I can from stuff already felled. My thinking is that I can get by with something in the 45cc, 3 hp class with a 16" bar. Does that sound reasonable or am I going to wanting a hemi-sized saw really soon? With the new lathe, I want to look at bowls and plates in the 12-18" range, with the odd piece even larger.

Bearing in mind that price is a consideration, I know I can go Husky or Stihl for about $400Cdn (Husky 340 or Stihl MS250) or I can go Craftsman (made by Poulan) for about $250. As a casual user, how much further ahead will I be going with one of the 2 big names?

Thanks for your help,
Steve Kubien
P.S. I've already got the $$$ set aside for safety gear like chaps, helmut/faceshield, boots, gloves etc. I'll make those purchase before the actual saw!

© 1998 - 2017 by Ellis Walentine. All rights reserved.
No parts of this web site may be reproduced in any form or by
any means without the written permission of the publisher.

WOODCENTRAL, P.O. BOX 493, SPRINGTOWN, PA 18081