Turning Archive 2007

Subject:
Adding Video To The Turning Chat - Good Idea? *LINK*

Steve Russell
>Hello to the group,

I have been looking into the possibility of adding short (1 minute or less) video segments to some of the Wednesday night Turning Chats. As you are probably aware, this raises bandwidth issues... However if we limit the segments to 1 minute or less, with an overall limit on the number of segments as well, we might be able to add video to some of the chats.

The details are far from being settled as there is a lot of work to get a page up and the video coded for viewing easily from different browsers. I have two short video segments on my website that are self-contained with viewers and players. All you have to do is click on the play button and you see the video in a small window. If you have never seen a preview video with a self-contained player, click on the link at the bottom of this message and you can watch the two on my web page.

My question is this... If we can get some video segments submitted by members (that relate to the chat topics) and you can watch them as easily as those on my website in a separate browser window, do you feel this will add to the value of the chat? If yes, why and if not, why? Obviously the member would need a video camera to shoot the video, but lots of folks have them these days...

My thoughts are that in certain instances, a short video of a project, technique, or other "on topic" material would be a nice added touch that would make it easier for the members to comment on the material vs. a standard picture, or lengthy text. This is all preliminary at the moment and nothing is set in stone. If everyone thinks that video will do nothing for the chat, then we will drop this and move on to other ideas. If however, you think it might be useful in some situations (obviously we could not do it all the time), then I can pursue this matter further.

Please give me your thoughts on this as my efforts are intended to increase the educational and informational value of the Turning Chats. I have the ability to edit and code the webpage for the video segments, but lots of other details need to be worked out. This might be a way to raise the bar a bit for the chat and then again, I may need to go and sweep out my studio for bringing up the idea in the first place. :-o Either way, your comments are appreciated and I stand with broom in hand ready to investigate this further, or get to sweeping... Ugh, I'd rather eat dirt than sweep out the studio... :-(

Thanks and all the best to you and yours!

Steve Russell
Wednesday Night Turning Chat Moderator

© 1998 - 2017 by Ellis Walentine. All rights reserved.
No parts of this web site may be reproduced in any form or by
any means without the written permission of the publisher.

WOODCENTRAL, P.O. BOX 493, SPRINGTOWN, PA 18081