Turning Archive 2007

Subject:
So far I've perfected one technique

Matt Berry
>Well, this weekend end up being THE weekend. I decided it was time to try turning a bowl. Yup, my very first bowl, I've done lots of spindle turning, and I had watched Bills bowl video numerous times over the last year+, it looks so easy, I can do it. Heck, it looks easier every time I watched the video. So I grab the chainsaw, fire it up for the first time this year, and proceed to cut my bowl blank, shortly there after I have a couple small bowl blanks, a mallet blank and a couple other blanks all out of walnut. Great, I prep it and get it on the lathe, true it up and get a nice profile started on the outside.

Wow, this bowling turning thing is pretty cool. Each step I was doing the same technique that Bill had showed me in the video - I even tapered the tennon to fit my chuck ;)

It was after this point that I seemed to have started perfecting a technique that Bill discussed but oddly enough didn't demonstrate. As per my annual safety check, I orbited my bowl for the third time yesterday, yup faceshield still works. I had orbited it twice on Sunday, both times falling harmlessly behind the lathe.

Oh it's rough out not rough up, well, at the third orbit I had pretty much finished the rough out / up. It is now sitting to the side waiting to dry so that I can "return" the piece to the lathe in 6 months. Hopefully I'll be nicer to the bowl and not feel the need to send it on a space trip :)

© 1998 - 2017 by Ellis Walentine. All rights reserved.
No parts of this web site may be reproduced in any form or by
any means without the written permission of the publisher.

WOODCENTRAL, P.O. BOX 493, SPRINGTOWN, PA 18081