Turning Archive 2007

Subject:
Trend Airshield Vs Triton Resporator?

Dominic Greco in Richboro PA
>Hello Everyone,

Like everyone, I'm concerned about prolonged exposure to wood dust. I have a dust collector pick up at my lathe and an air filter going in at all time when I'm working in the shop. But I realize that additional protection is sometimes required. I tend to turn more in the winter, when it's not easy to have an opened window or door to allow for ventilation. Plus I've been turning more and more tropical hardwoods recently. I'm not sure if thats doing my sinuses any good! I wear a disposable dust mask but feel that they really don't do that great of a job by themselves.

I always wear a face mask. So the next logical step would be to combine the two and purchase one of those air filter masks. I'm not ready to buy one just yet. Rather, I'm at the point now where I'm investigating these items to determine which direction to go.

At this moment the two products in the lead are the Trend Airshield ($279.99 at Woodcraft) and the Triton Respirator ($189.95 at Amazon.com)

Despite the apparent cost difference, I prefer the compact design of the Trend Airshield over the Triton. The Triton with it's "membrane-like" dust hood just looks like a royal PITA to wear! And that umbilical looks like an invitation to catch on something. But that's not to say that the Triton is totally out of the picture! I just need to hear from those of you that use these airshields. So here are my questions:

1. Which one did you get and why?

2. How do you rate their performance in regards to getting the dust before it gets in your lungs?

3. How comfortable are they to wear? Do you wear them all the time when you turn?

4. How's the battery life?

5. What limitations do they impose on your work (field of vision, hearing impalement), and how did you adjust to them?

6. Is there another brand of "air shield" besides these two?

7. What about the "comsumables" (filters, batteries, spare parts, etc)? How are these priced? What extras (replacement faceshield, spare battery pack, extra charger...) would you recommend getting?

8. Lastly, has any wood working magazine or website done a comprehensive review of these two airshields?

Thanks in advance.

See ya around,

My ugly mug

Dominic

© 1998 - 2017 by Ellis Walentine. All rights reserved.
No parts of this web site may be reproduced in any form or by
any means without the written permission of the publisher.

WOODCENTRAL, P.O. BOX 493, SPRINGTOWN, PA 18081