Turning Archive 2007

Subject:
Nautilus Box

Dave Belser
>This box is 4" high, 1 3/4" dia. The box is figured Ash and the knob is Indian Rosewood. Finished with one coat of semi gloss lacquer followed by 4 coats of danish oil rubbed in.

This little piece of ash almost got thrown in the fire. It was in a thick slab from a large tree that reveled where a branch had scabbed over and become completely internal to the tree. The slab was cut through this feature in a way that made very difficult to use, it was a challenge to cut and orient this small piece in a usable way. The figure was such that I just couldn't bring myself to toss it. The wood dictated the tall skinny box shape. While I was turning it I kept thinking that it would make a perfect little box to keep hand rolled cigarettes in - of course I don't smoke (anything!) at this point.

The nautilus name comes from the figure that is centered at the end of the thin bark line.

The lid has a collar also made from ash, by doing this I was able to keep the waste from the cut line to the kerf of my razor saw, about 1/32".

I'm really happy how the inside top and bottom came out - flat with really crisp corners. The one problem I did have was my own stupidity.... When I reversed the top I thought I could get away with holding it in my scroll chuck with a little packing foam to protect the wood - Duh! I ended up with 4 sets of ugly marks on the outside of the lid. I then had a hell of a time reworking the profile at the top to remove the marks.

I think the profile at the top looks a little more forced and less graceful than it first did.

Comments and critques wellcome

- Dave

© 1998 - 2017 by Ellis Walentine. All rights reserved.
No parts of this web site may be reproduced in any form or by
any means without the written permission of the publisher.

WOODCENTRAL, P.O. BOX 493, SPRINGTOWN, PA 18081