Turning Archive 2007

Subject:
A Strange box, take 2

Dave Belser
>OK, now that I've worked out the image thing....

A strange box, 4" high x 3" diameter:

I've been working on idea for another piece and the base (maple) is a test for the other idea. I've added a machinists cross slide to my lathe, the box is a machined cylinder, the only surfaces that were turned "by hand" are the outside top and bottom. Here is a picture of it open:

This shows the part I was experimenting with. The closure between the top and bottom is milled like that of a safe, 4 distinct steps, each step face is .050". The lid actually fits loosely, you can twist it freely, but if you pick it up by the finial, there is enough of a suction that the bottom will lift off the table before dropping off.

Needless to say, I couldn't bring myself to discard this "practice" box and lid.

Now for the "finial".....

I acquired a small amount of questionable cherry burl, it simply had too much insect damage and voids to usable for much. I also hadn't had a lot of experience turning burl so I made 3 strange spindle turnings and kept them around for possible use as finials somewhere down the road.

What I like about this piece is that the finial and the box DON'T go together. Especially when you open the box and see the machining. At this point, if I was to make another finial the stem and bulb on it would be more graceful. As it was I had all I could do to remount it and turn the base of the finial enough to fit the recess (for chucking) that existed in the top of the box.

I think I did alright for two leftovers.

Comments and critiques welcome!

- Dave

© 1998 - 2017 by Ellis Walentine. All rights reserved.
No parts of this web site may be reproduced in any form or by
any means without the written permission of the publisher.

WOODCENTRAL, P.O. BOX 493, SPRINGTOWN, PA 18081