Turning Archive 2007

Subject:
New JET bandsaw in the basement !

Pete in Holland, MI
>Took delivery of a 14" Jet 1-1/4hp bandsaw on Thursday and got it assembled last night (yes.......Some assembly required). The base cabinet door had a heavy dent in it. A call to the Woodcraft store where it was purchased got a replacement rolling and one of their employees will drop it past my place of work (I live about 40 miles from the store) on their way home when it comes in.

Assembly was pretty straight forward. Opted for the riser block during purchase, so that went in also. Took a little more time to grease adjusting screw threads and make sure everything was lined up during assembly.

Overall, fit & finish was good. The powder coating used on the tools makes a really nice finish. I normally have to knock the edges off the edges of cast iron tables, but that was done from the factory. After all was verified, I powered it up. Boy, I was very impressed with the near silent operation and lack of any vibration.

Two things stuck out as a source of improvement:

1) There are several shades of JET white on the various pieces. Not a big thing, but it is noticeable.

2) The enclosed base has provisions for bolt on feet, but no feet are included. The saw base is apparently designed to sit directly on the ground, which I didn't like. Went to a local machine salvage store and bought some used bolt on rubber feet and that took care of that issue.

One board was cut, and that concluded the evening's fun for the weekend.

Overall, I was impressed with the workmanship in the machine as I assembled it, along with the service from the Grand Rapids Woodcraft store. Will be looking forward to making more sawdust with it in the near future.

If you are considering this machine, I give it a thumbs-up.

Messages In This Thread

New JET bandsaw in the basement !
Re: New JET bandsaw in the basement !
© 1998 - 2017 by Ellis Walentine. All rights reserved.
No parts of this web site may be reproduced in any form or by
any means without the written permission of the publisher.

WOODCENTRAL, P.O. BOX 493, SPRINGTOWN, PA 18081