Turning Archive 2007

Subject:
sticking chucks and faceplates

john lucas
>This seems to be a common problem among woodturners. I'll post what I do and hopefully hear from others. First, keep the threads and face side of the drive spindle clean.
Lube the spindle face and threads lightly. Ever since Stephen Russell suggested using air tool oil I've been doing that and have greatly reduced problems with the chuck sticking. Wipe it on the spindle and using a paper towel wipe it back off. You won't get it all and what's left will greatly help keep the chuck from sticking.

When you put the chuck on, screw it on lightly, then take your chuck wrench and tighten the chuck. How much pressure you put on the chuck wrench will be how much it takes to get it off. I've been doing that ever since John Jordan showed us this technique and guess what. He's right. Never spin the chuck on so it hits the face of the spindle and never never use the lathe power to get the chuck on. Doing this will jam it on so you can't get it off.

All chucks and all lathes aren't made to the same tolerances and of course wear and tear takes a toll. If you still have problems with sticking after the above techniques use a nylon spacer between the chuck and spindle. This can create some vibration on longer turnings but I haven't found it a problem. Use something that doesn't compress if you make your own. cutting your own washers from milk bottles works well but it's a little slick and you may have problems with the chuck coming loose on lathes with electronic brakes.

Those are my tips. Let me know what you all do differently.

© 1998 - 2017 by Ellis Walentine. All rights reserved.
No parts of this web site may be reproduced in any form or by
any means without the written permission of the publisher.

WOODCENTRAL, P.O. BOX 493, SPRINGTOWN, PA 18081