Turning Archive 2007

I'm a burl watcher!

Bill Grumbine (Kutztown PA)
>I'm a burl watcher! I'm a burl watcher! Watchin' burls go by - my, my my!

I have been lusting over this tree for over seven years, since we moved into our current house. This tree was only a little over a mile up the road from me, and was one of a set ringing a house. A few weeks ago, my good friend Dominic and I were cruising about looking for something to do, when I spied the owner of said tree chopping down the one next to it. So we did a 180 in the road, and spun into the yard to discuss it with him. To make a long story a little shorter, while there was no burl on the tree being cut that day, the one I really wanted needed to come down, and I received a call the day I left for FL to let me know that I could have all the burls on it. I picked them up today.

I ended up with two truck loads of this stuff, and even better, had the boyfriend of daughter #2 with me. Since he wants to marry her, he is willing to do just about anything I want to gain favor. I hardly had to lift a finger to get this stuff into the truck, and then into the burl barn!

Dominic, don't worry, I think I can find a piece for you as a consolation prize.

Happy turning.

© 1998 - 2017 by Ellis Walentine. All rights reserved.
No parts of this web site may be reproduced in any form or by
any means without the written permission of the publisher.