Turning Archive 2007

In Florida I ain't...

Bill Grumbine (Kutztown PA)
>Greetings all

I just got home a little while ago. I should have been getting home a week from Monday, but as some of you might know, we had a weather event here in the northeast.

I got to the airport way early so as to take care of any potential problems with the TSA. As recently as the day before I had been advised by the airline personnel that I might not be allowed to take my turning tools with me in any way, so I thought it might be prudent to arrive in time to discuss the matter. Anyway, I spent my time from 7:00 AM until 10:00 AM either standing in line or waiting on my plane. The plane was supposed to leave at 9:32 AM, but it was running late. What a surprise. At 10:00 we were allowed to board, and immediately taxied out in preparation for takeoff. The weather got worse.

After sitting on the runway for 2 1/2 hours, we taxied back to the terminal to get back off the plane. The pilot informed us that all flights had been cancelled. There were some very angry people on board, including the guy sitting next to me, who commenced to abuse his laptop and say bad words. What was really frustrating was that if the plane had been on schedule, we would have made it out ahead of the weather. Of course, I might have been scattered all over the countryside too. One never knows...

I stood in another line from about 12:30 PM until 3:30 PM to discuss alternate arrangements with the airline people. Many cell phone calls were made between myself and the representatives of the two clubs I was planning on seeing in FL. To make a long story a little shorter, we were able to reschedule my missed demo and class for two weeks from now, and keep next week the same - assuming of course, no more snow falls.

I caught the last train out of the airport, arriving at the platform five minutes before it did. It looked like it was full of refugees. The regular city commuters were none too happy to see "their" train already filled when they attempted to board. Fortunately for me, my in-laws lived at the end of the line, and I was able to arrange transportation to their home. So unlike many others, I did not sleep at the airport or in some flophouse for $200/night. SWMBO was snowed in and could not reach me until this afternoon. But I am home now, and trying to look at it all from a philosophical point of view. This stuff never happens when I drive.


© 1998 - 2017 by Ellis Walentine. All rights reserved.
No parts of this web site may be reproduced in any form or by
any means without the written permission of the publisher.