Turning Archive 2007

Subject:
Whaddaya do now?

Gary Evans Tallassee, TN
>I have a natural edge cherry bowl that I inherited from my son. I had turned this one several years ago and it had acquired sufficient dirt that I decided to resand and re-oil, as I was thinking about giving it to one of his friends. Whilst sanding the interior, I discovered first that it had a sufficient crack that I wouldn't want to give it away and secondly that I had left a little ridge around the center nubbin. Compulsively, I proceeded to sand that out.

We were hurrying to get ready to go out, so I just threw a little oil at it, wiped off and left it to dry. Imagine my surprise the next morning to discover a perfect little pale circle in the bottom of the bowl. Obviously, the extra sanding in the bottom went through the light-darkened layers of wood.

Like I say, this particular bowl is not a very good one other than the fact it belonged to Cole for a little while, but how would you go about fixing this problem on a really nice piece? Sand the whole interior to match? Sit it out in the sun with a mask to let the center catch up with the rest? Add a little extra color to the bottom? Don't leave the little ridge in the first place?

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Gary

Messages In This Thread

Whaddaya do now?
Re: Whaddaya do now?
ditto *NM*
© 1998 - 2017 by Ellis Walentine. All rights reserved.
No parts of this web site may be reproduced in any form or by
any means without the written permission of the publisher.

WOODCENTRAL, P.O. BOX 493, SPRINGTOWN, PA 18081