Turning Archive 2007

Subject:
large hollowing

john lucas
>I'm jeolous of you people who can hollow large pieces quickly. I guess it's just experience. I can hollow up to 6 or 7 " pretty fast but this piece is 10 to 12" and I'm so nervous on the outer proportions I creep along stopping way to many times to measure wall thickness. I could turn 4 bowls in the time it's taken me to turn this one hollow piece. Oh well. I'll post a photo when I'm done if I don't blow it up.

roughed out 3 bowls and turned 2 more to competion yesterday. Still testing the Thompson gouge. I like it. I guess I sharpen more than some because it doesn't seem to hold a really sharp edge as long as some have said. It does hold up longer than my other two. I can't turn a bowl or two without sharpening. Well you could but why work that hard. If I get the time I'm going to make 3 bowls of similar size and use each gouge to completely rough out each one. I don't know if that will tell much either. It's kind of a subjective thing determining when a tool is dull. You suddenly realize your working harder than you should and you stop and sharpen and sure enough it now cuts like butter. Sometimes I can tell when it skips out of the fine cut but again that's kind of subjective as well.I do love the shape and the way it cuts. It's without a doubt a good buy.

© 1998 - 2017 by Ellis Walentine. All rights reserved.
No parts of this web site may be reproduced in any form or by
any means without the written permission of the publisher.

WOODCENTRAL, P.O. BOX 493, SPRINGTOWN, PA 18081