Turning Archive 2007
>Here are the rules for the spindle turning challenge. You can also see them and a photo of the diagram at the link below. Let me know if you have any questions either here or by email.
* A full profile photo of the entry sent to Ron Sardo is all it takes to enter.
o Please use the subject line "Spindle Contest"
* Photos should be sharp, in focus and taken off the lathe. ***
* Entries must be submitted by 11:00 P.M EDT on April 15 2007.
* The blank size is 7-3/4" by 1-1/2" at the widest.
* Turn a representative spindle using all 16 elements in the the diagram in order on the diagram.
* Judging will be on overall appearance not exact size of each element
o Appearance is subjective and will be based on but not limited to such things as fair curves and recurves, crisp transition, pleasing radii.
* Sharp tools produce crisp surfaces so no sanding.
* A light colored fine grain wood is preferred but not required.
* Click on the image below for a full size copy of the file
* The judges are Ellis Walentine, Ruth Niles and John Lucas
o First place prize: 8mm P&N unhandled detail gouge
o Second place prize: 8mm P&N unhandled spindle gouge
o In the case of a tie between 2 or more a drawing will be held to determine the first and second place winner
* If you have any questions, you can email Stuart Johnson
***John Lucas will submit a short write up on photographing the spindles