Turning Archive 2007

Subject:
New Thompson tools *PIC*

john lucas
>I got my new gouges from Doug Thompson yesterday and made handles tonight. I'm off tomorrow so I'm going to give the bowl gouge a good workout on some of that cherry I got. I'm going to sharpen 3 gouges, the Thompson, a Sorby, Packard. I'll run each one until dull and then sharpen all 3 again. I shoud have a really good feeling for how long the edge lasts.

These are CPM 10 tools that have been hardened and cyrogenic treated. They should really hold an edge. My first impressions were great. They look good, he has put a good edge on but I reshaped them very slightly to fit my set up on my jigs and I use 100 grit wheels. They grind nice. Not too hard so removing the metal and reshaping was easy.

I'll let you know the results. I've got 3 days to turn as much stuff as I can so I'll have a good test of that gouge.

I love the shape of the spindle gouges which is why I wanted his. They are thick and should cut really cleanly. I probably won't have time to work with those much but I'll try to get at least one project in.

© 1998 - 2017 by Ellis Walentine. All rights reserved.
No parts of this web site may be reproduced in any form or by
any means without the written permission of the publisher.

WOODCENTRAL, P.O. BOX 493, SPRINGTOWN, PA 18081