Turning Archive 2007

Subject:
Rubber could finally meet the road

David Breth
>It has been a little while since I posted anything - been busy. But, I'm still hanging around WC and still "going for a spin" in the shop when conditions permit.

This week at work we are having a Chinese auction to assist with the financial situation of one of our employees who has stage four cancer. The cafeteria is full of baked goods, chili for lunch, and items for the Chinese auction. I have never seen so much "stuff" contributed for such an event. The business has offered to match the money raised up to some amount. Its nice to see.

I contributed a little cherry bowl that I made from wood I acquired in the fall, when land was cleared for our new parking lot. It is a decent little platter-ish bowl, but nothing to get super-excited about, it just happens to be the only bowl I've done so far from that wood. The response to it has surprised me. I've had a few people comment that they will be very disappointed if they don't win it, etc., and it has been suggested that I better be ready to take orders.

Oh boy. Now I'm in trouble. Ordinarily I don't believe that sort of talk, but I'm hearing it enough it I kind of think there will be a handful of people who seek me out. I've never sold a bowl or anything I've made. Ever. I've been thinking about doing a local craft show in June, and started thinking about pricing somewhat, but now I have a very real possibility of people actually making inquiry, and I kind of think I should have answers for them.

There's nothing incredible about my work. When a friend comments on my bowls, I invariably tell them "you should see what people who know what they're doing can make." My stuff is pretty basic, the woods tyically aren't anything remotely exotic, I just try to do a good job with each, believe that I do, and have certainly improved over time. I think I'm in the $20 - $40 range with my stuff, but boy I just don't know. Its easy and fun to give the stuff away. I guess the answer is price to the best of my ability, assessing the intrinsic value of my work, the use of wood that came from our mutual place of work, and true interest within this fairly limited market, bearing in mind that my effort is worth a little something. Piece of cake.

Speaking of cake, there is so much cake back there you can't believe it, and like Anita Bryant said, "its not just for breakfast anymore". Maybe I'll go back there and just have a little.......something.

If I think of it, I'll post a photo of the bowl that's getting all the buzz.

David B.

© 1998 - 2017 by Ellis Walentine. All rights reserved.
No parts of this web site may be reproduced in any form or by
any means without the written permission of the publisher.

WOODCENTRAL, P.O. BOX 493, SPRINGTOWN, PA 18081