Turning Archive 2007

Subject:
clear as mud

Bill Stehman
>Thanks for all the comments and emails, so here is a quick how to for the overly curious that can't wait... chuckle.
To make a simple 2nd generation zig zag blank. Select various shades of wood, I like 6 or more.
The more subtle color changes the better the illusion. Stark colors will look like a checker board.
Plan ahead and cut more than enough strips for the size bowl you want. I have tried 3/4, 1/2 1/4
5/16 but like 3/8 best. Glue this first lamination together choosing your color scheme. Now cut this blank into the same size strips at your choice of miter. I have tried 22.5, 30 but 45 works best to my eyes. Lay out and line up on a glue surface. Flip every other one. This gives you the basic zig zag pattern all segmenters learn first. I then glue up two half's separately , an 8" bowl would be two 4" pieces. When these are ready I dry clamp together and draw my circle rings. The more rings the better the pattern. Doug Newlove wrote a nice article covering cutting ring bowls in last month's Woodturning Design.
I use a simple circle cutting jig for the BS to cut narrow half rings, then glue these together. Flatten and align the patterns one at time. Presto.... you have a mostly completed bowl to turn.
The curving pattern is achieved by the slope of the bowl. It's that simple.
I always make multiple bowls changing each a little. Have fun and I will do a step by step on my next series with some pics for those who have no experience or couldn't follow this.

© 1998 - 2017 by Ellis Walentine. All rights reserved.
No parts of this web site may be reproduced in any form or by
any means without the written permission of the publisher.

WOODCENTRAL, P.O. BOX 493, SPRINGTOWN, PA 18081