Turning Archive 2007

Subject:
I started a fun project yesterday *LINK*

Keith Newton
>I got a big cherry tree this week, over 3' diameter, and have started turning some pretty large platter / shallow bowl shapes that I intend to cut up and make cabinet sides, tops, and bottoms, so there will not be any flat, or even simple curve in one plane to the outside.

I am turning green, and plan to dry the parts as if I was making a green lathe turned bowl, then start working them into parts after they have dried and finished moving.

Do any of you know of anyone else using their turning like this to make furniture parts. NOT spindle turning,

This is not a commissioned piece, but I have been invited to teach a course at Eureka Springs School of the Arts, ESSA, this spring, and I am just knocking out some parts ahead of time, but this will be part of the direction.

There will also be some time spent on making hinges, so it can be opened in ways that can't be achieved with off of the shelf hinges.

The class project will be somewhat like a piece that I did that is in the shop shots from the link below, only it will be smaller, and function as a stand alone jewelry chest.

Needless to say this will be a fairly advanced class, and everyone in the class will be working with me as helpers, rather than each person working on their own project, so you will only leave with the knowledge that I share with whomever signs up for the class.

I know this may sound like I am promoting this class, but I really would like to see what others are doing. I usually try to avoid having my work look like something someone else has already done. It is not that hard to find a space between the lines on normal stuff, but I think there is probably lots of room to move when you get away from the flat plane, and curves on one axis.

© 1998 - 2017 by Ellis Walentine. All rights reserved.
No parts of this web site may be reproduced in any form or by
any means without the written permission of the publisher.

WOODCENTRAL, P.O. BOX 493, SPRINGTOWN, PA 18081