Turning Archive 2007

Subject:
A milestone piece *PIC*

David Breth
>I held this piece of wood in reserve for a long time, and finally decided to have at it. It is a crotch piece of I have absolutely no idea what that I got from a tree that was taken down for a convenience store.

The reason it is a milestone piece for me is that this was the last piece of wood that I ever cut into blank form using a bow saw. When I first started, that's how I did it. Awful, almost tearful experience, fraught with frustration. I would end up in my basement, with a log segment wedged into my vice, and cut it lengthwise with the bowsaw. Since the wood, green wood especially, would close in on itself as I cut, I was forever bamming more wedges into the cut so I could keep moving the saw blade. I probably had a good hour plus in cutting this one piece out, and I botched the cut somewhat, ending up with a rectangular blank. I must have done ten bowls like that before I finally broke down and got a chainsaw.

So, this blank survived air drying, and became this little bitty plate, maybe 7 inches diameter. Probably about an eigth of an inch thick. Hold it to the light and you get a pretty cool pattern glowing through. Nice feathering (I think that's what the pattern is called). Finish is Minwax Antique Oil. There are lots of coats, because whenever it was too late at night to start turning, but I felt like being productive, I'd put another coat on. There must be eight or ten coats, applied pretty much because of wanting to do SOMETHING on any particular night. Picture doesn't show it, but if you hold it right, you can see there are some little scratch marks in there from steel wool I used to knock down some raised grain after the first coat of oil. #@@$#(*^*%$ is what I say to that. I've rarely if ever had success using steel wool for that.

Sometimes I surprise myself with the ability I showed early on to pick a nice piece of wood - I remember when I grabbed this one knowing that I could see the pattern within.

Anyway, thanks for looking. Interested to know what "milestones" you have had that meant a little something to you.

David B.

© 1998 - 2017 by Ellis Walentine. All rights reserved.
No parts of this web site may be reproduced in any form or by
any means without the written permission of the publisher.

WOODCENTRAL, P.O. BOX 493, SPRINGTOWN, PA 18081