Turning Archive 2007

Subject:
Random orbital sander (long)

David Walser
>There are two air powered random orbital sanders that I am aware of that might be useful for use on turnings: the Grex AOS368 - 2" 105 Angle Random Orbital Sander and the Chicago Pneumatic 7200S Mini Random Orbital Sander. I'm currently using an electric drill for power sanding. A random orbital sander would make sanding scratches less noticeable. Besides, it would be a new tool! The question is whether my 1.5 hp - 8 gallon air compressor can power either one of these effectively?

Having found the manufacture's website for both sanders, it appears the Grex uses 2.2 cfm at 90 psi -- something a small shop air compressor should be able to supply. (It would be noisy, unless you could put the compressor in a cabinet to deaden the sound.) The Chicago Pneumatic uses a lot more air: 21 cfm "under load" and an average of 10.5 cfm (no mention of psi -- if you have to ask...?). It would seem the Chicago Pneumatic requires more air than a typical small shop compressor would deliver.

Here's links to the two websites:

(Chicago Pneumatic)
(Grex)

Here's links to the sanders on Amazon (so you'll have an idea of the cost, they're available elsewhere):

(Chicago Pneumatic)
(Grex)

Anyone have personal experience or thoughts they'd care to share?

© 1998 - 2017 by Ellis Walentine. All rights reserved.
No parts of this web site may be reproduced in any form or by
any means without the written permission of the publisher.

WOODCENTRAL, P.O. BOX 493, SPRINGTOWN, PA 18081