Turning Archive 2007

Subject:
I give up on Keltons

dwfII
>I have spent the last six months...an hour or two at a time...trying to hollow out a Siberian Elm vessel. The wood is totally dry and it's coarse. But I wanted to try a one inch hole and I've been working carefully. Even bought a Oneway bowl steady.

Well, I just can't get friendly with these Keltons. I get a screeching sound (and have from the day the tool was new) the minute the blade touches wood. A high, screechy vibration is really what it is. I've tried everything from raising and lowering the rest to tilting the blade but while I have moments I just can't get a smooth or comfortable cut with this tool. And it beats me to death.

This morning I got a "catch"...surprisingly the only bad one Ive had since beginning. But the mouth of the HF was chewed up....maybe even cracked.

Not wanting to dump my work and the hollow form, I cut the hole from one inch to about two inches.

At that point I could comfortably get my Sorby Hollowmaster in there and...it was like I knew what I was doing, all of a sudden!

My cutting was smooth and fast and I was dern near relaxed--despite that ever dangerous square edge on the bottom of the shaft. I have used the Sorby to make a very sweet apple vase and a big leaf maple hollow form that had an ebonized persimmon collar. I think I posted photos of both on this forum.

I can do this...with the Sorby, but I can't find the edge with the Keltons.

If anyone can suggest a tool that will run as smooth as the Sorby in a one inch hole, I would appreciate the recommend and the advice.

In the meantime, my Keltons are up for sale--driven only on Sundays by a little old grey haired bootmaker. Perfect condition, no rust, low miles.

DW
In the High Desert of Central Oregon

© 1998 - 2017 by Ellis Walentine. All rights reserved.
No parts of this web site may be reproduced in any form or by
any means without the written permission of the publisher.

WOODCENTRAL, P.O. BOX 493, SPRINGTOWN, PA 18081