Turning Archive 2007

Subject:
My first HF *PIC*

Scott in Falcon
>Hi all,

I thought I would post a photo of my first hollow form that I finished a week and a half ago. In the spirit of sharing information, I thought I would also post a couple of things that I learned along the way. So, if you've never turned a hollow form before:

1. Don't be afraid to try

2. Do think about where the bottom of the piece will be in relation to the tenon you are holding onto with the chuck.

3. Don't worry too much about how thin you can make the walls at this point, you can get better later.

4. Don't worry about how smooth you can make the inside, you can get better at that too.

5. Don't use a fancy piece of wood for your first piece. If you do, you'll spend too much time worry about whether you are about to destroy a beautiful chunk of wood and it will raise your blood pressure! :)

With that being said, I'll state that these were lessons I learned the hard way (especially #2 where I almost ended up with a tenon for the bottom of my form because I hollowed it too deeply and #5 because it really is too nice of a piece of wood to have used for my first).

Please feel free to correct my tips or add to them!

Here's my first attempt. Redwood burl about 4 inches high with plenty of voids and bark inclusions. I also have to thank Derek Ecker of the Pike's Peak Woodturners for both the wood and for loaning me the hollowing tools to give it a shot.

Scott

© 1998 - 2017 by Ellis Walentine. All rights reserved.
No parts of this web site may be reproduced in any form or by
any means without the written permission of the publisher.

WOODCENTRAL, P.O. BOX 493, SPRINGTOWN, PA 18081