Turning Archive 2007

Subject:
Follow up to my Spindle question yesterday

Joe in a Cleveland suburb
>Hello again.

So I read all your responses from yesterday regarding proper use of a skew chisel. That for all the responses by the way.

I went home last night and put all your advice to work. I had a lot better results. The one suggestion that I think helped quite a bit was to slow the lathe down. I put it at its slowest speed. That also lowered the intimidation factor a bit... I don't know how you people stand behind those massive chunks of logs when making big bowls... yikes.

Anyway, the handle below will do. I tried doing a couple beads and stuff - it's all for learning. It's almost done. I got a little excited last night and removed it from the lathe before I was ready to, but it's getting there. I have another one to make yet. It will be made from walnut. I have two Doug Thompson bowl gouges to put into these handles. I'm dying to give that a try!

I've used this little lathe more in the past week than I have the entire 4'ish years I've owned it. I really need to build a dedicated stand/table for it. Using it on my work bench has it up way too high and it takes up too much room. It's all coming together though. Soon I will be able to take a stab at a bowl. Well, I do have other stuff I gotta get done first too. Like the dreaded MIL table...

Thanks for all the help! I'm sorry, but I'll be back...

Joe

Here's the whole thing -

This is towards the working end. I have some small brass fittings that will be used for the ferrel.

Messages In This Thread

Follow up to my Spindle question yesterday
Re: Follow up to my Spindle question yesterday
Congrats -- Looks great ! *NM*
© 1998 - 2017 by Ellis Walentine. All rights reserved.
No parts of this web site may be reproduced in any form or by
any means without the written permission of the publisher.

WOODCENTRAL, P.O. BOX 493, SPRINGTOWN, PA 18081