Turning Archive 2007

Subject:
Couple Questions for spindle turners

Joe in a Cleveland suburb
>Hello.

What is the correct way to use a skew chisel to obtain a really smooth surface?

I'm making a couple tool (bowl gouge) handles out of walnut and cherry scraps. I have the basic shape I want. I kinda recall seeing Norm using his lathe making spindles and using the skew chisel as the last step to get a really smooth surface. I also remember seeing (can't remember where!) a video of Ernie Connover doing it and he had his one hand behind the piece he was turning and that hand was also supporting the chisel(?). Maybe I am way too cautious but I didn't want the chisel to did in. So I was barely touching the wood.

I guess this question could dovetail into "How do you get that perfect cylinder or taper?" for a table leg for example. I ask that too because I'm supposed to be making a table for my MIL. I might try turned legs. I usually make tapered legs.

I tried it last night and was ending up with high spots that looked something like spirals. Very faint, not very noticeable, but there. I'm able to get a smooth surface with a regular gouge but I'm trying for that super smooth feel. Like a board I just hand planed vs. sanded. Remember, I'm a flatwork guy. I like using hand planes, not sand paper. Well, when I can get away with it... :)

Sorry for so many questions and wordy posts... I can't help it! Geez, I think my wife talks too much?... :)

Thanks,
Joe

© 1998 - 2017 by Ellis Walentine. All rights reserved.
No parts of this web site may be reproduced in any form or by
any means without the written permission of the publisher.

WOODCENTRAL, P.O. BOX 493, SPRINGTOWN, PA 18081