Turning Archive 2007

Subject:
Long Term Test Results of Storing Anchorseal

Steve Russell
>Hello to the group,

There was a recent question on the turning newsgroup about how long Anchorseal would last in storage. As it turns out, this has been the subject of one of my long term tests. I'm reprinting my reply here, as I'm sure some of the members here may be curious about this as well. Reply follows:

As many of the group here know, I'm always testing things in my studio. It's a character flaw of mine I guess... One of my long term tests has been on the shelf life of finishes and adhesives. In addition, I threw in a few other things at the last minute... Anchorseal was one of the products I added to the primary protocol.

I have tested both the winterized version and standard version's of Anchorseal. The testing has thus far spanned 7 years for the Anchorseal products. All of the product variations have been stored in the original plastic bottles and measured for temperature, color, consistency, viscosity and specific gravity every six months.

In addition, drying time is recorded on sample wood with temperature and humidity recorded. A supplemental test is also performed with heat assisted drying, with the same factors recorded.

Brief summary results thus far...

Winterized Product: No difference in viscosity or specific gravity. No lumps or thickened masses. Drying time in normal range vs. fresh product.

Non-Winterized Product: Test 1A.) Stored inside studio - heated and air conditioned space year round. No difference in measured characteristics. Drying time in normal range.

Non-Winterized Product: Test 1B.) Stored outside, exposed to elements, temperature variations etc. (Stored in original plastic bottle). Product has become very lumpy, with thick masses floating in watery thin liquid. We do not get a lot of freezing temps here, but it happens on occasion. Product experienced a cascading failure of all measured factors and was removed from testing on 1-15-2002.

So, if properly stored the winterized product will last at least seven years. It does need to be stored with a tightly closed lid for best results. Sub-testing was performed on both versions of Anchorseal stored in a temperature controlled environment, with an inert gas layer added in test tubes to establish a boundary layer against normal air contact. Results of this testing have yet to be summarized.

Bottom line is that you should be able to get at least seven years out of any Anchorseal that you purchase, IF it's stored in a controlled environment, with a tight fitting lid to prevent evaporation. I hope this helps you. If you have any questions, please do not hesitate to contact me.

Steve Russell
Eurowood Werks Woodturning Studio
The Woodlands, Texas

© 1998 - 2017 by Ellis Walentine. All rights reserved.
No parts of this web site may be reproduced in any form or by
any means without the written permission of the publisher.

WOODCENTRAL, P.O. BOX 493, SPRINGTOWN, PA 18081