Turning Archive 2007

Subject:
Turn with wet or dry wood. Why? (longish)

Joe in a Cleveland suburb
>Hi.

This question really is geared towards people that have mini's I guess (not a BMW Mini but a Jet Mini...). When I look at all the nice little bowls and so on posted here I always wonder if it started out as a wet chunk of log or a (KD) dried chunk.

Saturday I took some scrap Cherry, glued it up into a chunk and Sunday morning played around with it and my new Nova G3 chuck after rounding the corners off with my bs. How did it turn? Well... as you know cherry is pretty hard... it has a ways to go yet before it's even round.

I went to visit Doug Thompson again yesterday afternoon to see the beginnings of another hat (amazing). I took my chunk of cherry to show him the progress. When he was laughing hysterically at it, I threw it at him, grabbed one of his hats and ran! No, just kidding. He pointed out cracks in it. When I got home I noticed it appears more cracks developed. These were scraps that have been laying around in my shop for a couple years. So they were stable. Not sure why they would be cracking/moving so much now. The grain is all oriented the same direction too. Maybe the gluing? Doesn't matter. Just something to practice/play with.

I'm going to set that cherry chunk aside for a few days. I have to try my hand at making a couple tool handles now. Those will be turned from glued up stock too though so I'll see how that goes.

After watching Doug turn massive tree parts into thin delicate hats, I can see it's obvious why you would use yet wood for big stuff. What about little stuff though. It seems a drag to start a bowl, throw it a bag for a couple months to dry then finish turn it. I know. I know. During that couple months I could finish making that cherry table I started for my MIL. But I want to make a bowl... :)

I suppose some will say wet because it's wet when you find it laying someplace and it was free, or you'll say wet because it's much easier to turn wet. But what are some other reasons?

Thanks.

Joe
cold near Cleveland

© 1998 - 2017 by Ellis Walentine. All rights reserved.
No parts of this web site may be reproduced in any form or by
any means without the written permission of the publisher.

WOODCENTRAL, P.O. BOX 493, SPRINGTOWN, PA 18081