Turning Archive 2007

Subject:
Sharpening Jig - I made this!

Joe in a Cleveland suburb
>Hello.

Couple weeks ago I asked about making your own sharpening jig. You all pointed me to several resources. I put all that together and came up with this version. All I did was take scrap pieces of walnut, a couple cherry plywood shorts, and some scrap poplar, glued and screwed it all together and here it is!

I don't really know how to sharpen yet, but it seems to work. I can adjust it in several different ways. Holds the gouge pretty well. Guess it's gonna work. The best part is it's all from scrap that otherwise was headed for the fire pit. It cost about $2 for the rod. That's it.

Thanks for looking. Oh, and feel free to tell me what's wrong with it if there is an obvious reason why it won't work... :)

Joe

Pictures:

Here is the base with the (wrong type grinder and wrong wheel - I know) grinder on it.

Here's a shot of the thingy that holds the gouge. The thumb screw near my palm pushes up a cradle that holds the gouge in tight.

This is the front of it.

Here's another. The eye screw thing tightens down for adjusting the angle. The plans I saw (and web sites) showed making several different blocks with different angled rods and/or they showed bending the rod. I think making it adjustable works fine(?).

This is what it would look like in use.

And another.

That's it.

© 1998 - 2017 by Ellis Walentine. All rights reserved.
No parts of this web site may be reproduced in any form or by
any means without the written permission of the publisher.

WOODCENTRAL, P.O. BOX 493, SPRINGTOWN, PA 18081