Turning Archive 2007

Subject:
Uh-oh! Turners' Hand

David Breth
>At work, I got this new fancy-pants computer that will allow you to use a fingerprint swipe instead of a password to log in, etc. Not exactly a critical function, but I wanted to try it out, and off and on for a few weeks I've been toying with it. Found the software completely unresponsive.

Today, a computer guy walked by, helped with a few things on the new PC, and I asked about the fingerprint software. He set it up to where I would swipe in my fingerprint three times. Machine was unresponsive, as it had been for me. He took a look at my index finger and said "I don't think you have any fingerprints." I said "Get out of here." and looked at my right index finger. I don't have any fingerprints, or rather, I do, but you have to look really, really closely to see them. I'm going to have to use my left hand.

Thus is the price of hand sanding on the lathe I guess. Actually, I'm guessing it is a combination of things. I hand sand on the lathe, and I'm sure the dry wood desperately sucks the oil out of my hand. I finish off the lathe, typically with Minwax Antique Oil. I apply it wearing gloves, but wipe it off without gloves because the gloves leave smears. So, I get a small amount of oil in my fingers, which I'm sure is readily absorbed by those thirsty guys.

So - Turners' Hand. I think this could be a license to kill, and even leave the murder weapon at the scene. "The murderer is in the room. Nobody move. I can't tell you who killed the butler in the parlor with a candlestick, but I can speculate that the candlestick was turned by the guy who committed the murder. Everybody rub your hands together. The one that sounds like sandpaper is the killer!"

© 1998 - 2017 by Ellis Walentine. All rights reserved.
No parts of this web site may be reproduced in any form or by
any means without the written permission of the publisher.

WOODCENTRAL, P.O. BOX 493, SPRINGTOWN, PA 18081