Turning Archive 2007

Subject:
Restored "dumpster" table. *PIC*

Greg Haugen
>Here is a table that I recently helped restore. It came in broken and beaten pretty badly. 5 pieces, and two legs. I reproduced two legs, the front two in the picture, and worked with a furniture shop that is a former employer to help refurbish this nice little table. When we dismantled the rest of it and stripped the finish it was cool to find a "signature" of the maker and a 1932 date. At that point I also realized the two legs that were there had very slight variations so I knew it wasn't a "spindle mill" job. It was a great feeling to repair "Mr. Williamson's" work. We took 49 pictures so we could duplicate the original stain and level of sheen. A good friend of mine repairs and restores collectible guitars and violins. I remember him telling me, " a restore job doesn't make something "new" because that would ruin its value. A good job fixes or restores the item and leaves no sign that someone worked on it. But leaves some of its history and legacy there to tell it's "story" to others."

I really tried to take that to heart as we worked on this "dumpster" table. We even added a slight "disstress" to the new legs so they wouldn't stand out as badly when compared to the old ones.

We think it turned out pretty nice.

Greg

© 1998 - 2017 by Ellis Walentine. All rights reserved.
No parts of this web site may be reproduced in any form or by
any means without the written permission of the publisher.

WOODCENTRAL, P.O. BOX 493, SPRINGTOWN, PA 18081