Turning Archive 2007

Subject:
Bevel protractor *LINK*

john lucas
>I admit it, I suffer from never make the same thing twice disease. Because of this if have to change my saw a lot to cut the different angles. This means there are a lot of test cuts to get the angle correct. I've bought a lot of different gadgets over the years to try and help this but they never have the correct angle, or just flat out don't work.

When I was at Highland Hardware they had a close out on a Starret Bevel angle Protractor. I never would have bought it at the normal price but it was more than half off so I got it. What a great tool. I'm still in the early stages of finding out how well this thing works as a set up tool but so far it's great. I could not find this on Starret's web page but found something very similar in the Enco catalog. There are also some models that are quite a bit more expensive and may be a little more accurate but for woodworking I think the less expensive model will work.

My first tests were to tilt the saw to 22 1/2 degrees and rip some wood. This has always been one of the harder things for me to do because I don't have a high qualitys saw or blade. I was only off a hair and that was a with a board that hadn't been planed and trued up. It was close enought than some thick veneer inbetween each piece would take up the slack.

My next test will be a compound miter. These have always been a pain because you have 2 variables, the miter gauge and the tilt of the blade. Should be interesting. I'll take the time to true up this next board.

Anyway, I think this is going to be a really good tool and not that expensive.

© 1998 - 2017 by Ellis Walentine. All rights reserved.
No parts of this web site may be reproduced in any form or by
any means without the written permission of the publisher.

WOODCENTRAL, P.O. BOX 493, SPRINGTOWN, PA 18081