Turning Archive 2007

Subject:
problem solved *PIC*

Bill Youngblood
>Thanks for all the suggestions on my 'bleeding' problem. As promised, here is the finished piece. There was a small amount of red dust in the Holly. I applied boiled linseed oil, mistake number two. The oil turned on the red dust like a neon sign. I remounted it on a faceplate with a glue block and cleaned off the oil as much as possible with a cabinet scraper. The piece is only 1/8" thick so I didn't have much to work with. Unfortunately, the oil went quite deep so it is still a little yellow; but I went ahead and finished it anyway just for the experience.
I gave it a light coat of clear lacquer and sanded with 180. Another coat of lacquer and sand with 220 and so on up to 400. I then gave it several coats with light 400 sanding between coats. I finally polished it with automotive rubbing compound.
It certainly is not gallery quality but a fabulous learning opportunity.
To all you lurkers out there, if you have a problem don't hesitate to ask about it. These are the greatest and most sharing people in the world.
Thanks again for all the suggestions.
Bill

© 1998 - 2017 by Ellis Walentine. All rights reserved.
No parts of this web site may be reproduced in any form or by
any means without the written permission of the publisher.

WOODCENTRAL, P.O. BOX 493, SPRINGTOWN, PA 18081