Turning Archive 2007

Subject:
Realigning a swiveling headstock

Dave Belser
>I have a Nova DVR XP, this is a great lathe and I really enjoy it. The one issue that has come up is that when I rotate the headstock out for better access or for large work, it doesn't always line up right when I rotate it back. For those not familiar with this lathe, there are detent positions for the head stock at 0, 22.5, 45 and 90 degrees from the lathe bed, once in the detent you lock the headstock down.

What I have found is that the slop in the 0 detent position allows me to move the spindle center 0.020" So when I swing the headstock back the center can be significantly out of line with my tail stock. As a mater of fact, the first time this happened, I assumed that my tail stock had become out of alignment and so I took the time to realign it as best I could.

At this point I don't have any good fixed reference to return the head stock to 0. To get back to 0 I would need to establish the centerline of the headstock parallel to the ways and then I could readjust the tailstock. From then on I could use the tail stock to indicate 0 when I swivel the headstock back.

So the questions: Do other people have this problem or is my detent mechanism just sloppy? Is there a particular procedure you go through when you swivel your head stock?

Most of the time this is not an issue, as I don't do a lot of critical tail stock supported work, but when I need to it's a PIA.

- Dave

© 1998 - 2017 by Ellis Walentine. All rights reserved.
No parts of this web site may be reproduced in any form or by
any means without the written permission of the publisher.

WOODCENTRAL, P.O. BOX 493, SPRINGTOWN, PA 18081