Turning Archive 2007

Subject:
Much ado about Lurking

Rick Davenport
>Leave for a couple of days and see what I missed?
I tried to wade through all the lurking posts because, I guess, by definition I have become one.
Many of you regulars recognize my name because I initially posted a lot.
Lots of newbie questions and a few pics of early and semi-feeble attempts at bowl turning.
In recent months my postings have become fewer and fewer.
Why?
First of all, as a now kinda/sorta intermediate turner, I still don’t have the expertise to enlighten anyone (unless you want to talk tennis doubles strategy or backhand stab volley technique).
Second, I don’t have nearly as many beginner questions – they were answered by posting and lurking here, at local AAW meetings or by simple trial and error.
And lastly, I have slowly drifted into my own comfort zone of form, style and function of bowl turning which does not match current conventional wisdom.

I still get a lot out of lurking here. Especially discussions of tools, equipment, wood types and I enjoy seeing photos from all turners. Every piece is different and each has something unique to offer and learn from.

I never seriously considered the exchange because my pieces don’t match the critical criteria established at Woodcentral and I can’t imagine one of you wanting one of my lumpy, cracked, thick and odd shaped hunks of lumber.

I think I speak for 98% of the lurkers:
I have no desire to get a pricey freebie from one of you many talented turners that participate here. It’s not that I wouldn’t want to own one; but I certainly wouldn’t want to “steal” it. And I would honestly consider it stealing.

So please lighten up on us lurkers. If it’s okay with you, we will continue to lurk and learn.

Rick “NotsoDull” Davenport

© 1998 - 2017 by Ellis Walentine. All rights reserved.
No parts of this web site may be reproduced in any form or by
any means without the written permission of the publisher.

WOODCENTRAL, P.O. BOX 493, SPRINGTOWN, PA 18081