Turning Archive 2007

Subject:
A few shop tips...

Peter Teubel
>Nothing revolutionary, just a few ideas to share in hopes that some may find useful.

#1) It seems I'm always knocking over my friction polish bottle. Either hitting it with my arm or forgetting to move it when I blow off the lathe with the compressor. I squeezed one of those rare earth magnets in it and now it's a lot more stable.

#2) While the Oneway 1224 has a nice stand and there's room to place your tools under the bed, I tend to HIT the bed when putting them there, thus dulling the edge. Plus, when I lean over the bed to hollow, I tend to hit the tools over the other side. So I build a quick tray to hold a few tools. I also hinged it so it can fold down when not in use.

#3) I used to attach a velcro stip to the lathe to hold sand paper, but I found that it would clog with shavings and tend to peel off after awhile. So I took a piece of plywood, sanded it down to 600 (for better adhesion), and attached two velcro strips to it. In the back, I coutersunk two rare earth magnets. Now, the board can live on a vertical surface while I'm turning and when I get to sanding, it attaches to the bed securely...right where I need it.

© 1998 - 2017 by Ellis Walentine. All rights reserved.
No parts of this web site may be reproduced in any form or by
any means without the written permission of the publisher.

WOODCENTRAL, P.O. BOX 493, SPRINGTOWN, PA 18081