Turning Archive 2007

Subject:
Turnng Canes, Again. LONG

Barry Irby
>I dragged this back up to the top because this board moves so fast the other post fell off the bottom.

I tried turning canes using thos screw connectors that allow the cane to be broken down.

Just thought I would pass this along as an addition tot he collective knowledge.

I tried turing the parts and drilling the holes in the ends and screwing in the fittings. The problem was that the instruction called for holes like 29/64 and I did not own a forstner bit or even a brad point in all the sizes I needed. I tried regular twist bits. Turns out, they tend to wander a little. Not good.

I tried drilling the holes and ucing them to chuck the ends by insertign a cone center in the holes. Better. But, the threads on the inserts them selves tended to casue the inserts not to perfectly center.

I tried installing the inserts and then chucking them into the lathe. Better yet, but there are still problems. I did not realize how my lack of accuracy was affecting the finished product.

The client had provided me with the walnut for this and it was terrible. 2 X 2's that were so warped it was dificult to get a piece straight enough to get a straight "dowel" 1' in diameter 18" long. I thought I would just cut tehm up and turn them. Offsett eh ends to ellimante the defects and make a dowel, then drill the holes. The problem is that the ends ahve to be almost perfectly perpendicular to the dowel.

Lets say you maked two dowels for a cane and they are about an 1 in diameter. You drill the holes and they are off center by a 1/16". You mount the inserts and turn the cane. Once you screw the parts together, each piece will have that 1/16" "offset" in it and when you assmeble the cane It will ahve about an 1/8" crook in it. (Murphy's Law says they will never cancel each other out.)

My point is that the work has to be much more accurate than I was prepared for. You need to drill those holes Dead ON. Or you need to offset the other end as much as you offset the hole and then return the stick to round.

I did make some staffs that were longer than the canes. I made the blanks by drilling a counter bore and hole in the ends that woudl coneal the brass fitting. I mounted them inthe lathe, using the brass fitting to mount them. Turned them so that there was aobut an 1/8" of wood left around the brass. (about a 1/4 fatter than the fitting") Cut the length flush with the bras shoulder. Once screwed together the brass was concealed and they appears to be a single piece of wood.

Messages In This Thread

Turnng Canes, Again. LONG
Re: Turnng Canes, Again. LONG *PIC*
© 1998 - 2017 by Ellis Walentine. All rights reserved.
No parts of this web site may be reproduced in any form or by
any means without the written permission of the publisher.

WOODCENTRAL, P.O. BOX 493, SPRINGTOWN, PA 18081