Turning Archive 2007

Subject:
Scroll Chucks - Confusion for a newbie...

Joe in a Cleveland suburb
>Hi. Me again.

I posted last week about making an urn. Lidded boxes were suggested. So I looked into that. I know there are other ways to do it, but this is also a new tool opportunity(!)- I want a scroll chuck and my B-day is fast approaching. My wife asked me the other night what I wanted and I answered her just like Ralphie did in the Christmas Story movie about the BB Gun. I replied quickly and without hesitation "A scroll chuck for my Jet mini!". She had no idea what I was talking about. I think she thought I was swearing at her. Not sure.

I was about to order the Teknatools Precision Midi Scroll Chuck Kit from Lee Valley. Then, as I looked into things further by going to the Teknatools web site, I find a Nova G3 Chuck. What the heck is that? It's only slightly more and appears to be 'geared'. What's that mean? Is it better then the other Tekna chuck? I thought the Nova stuff was a different company. Is it the same as OneWay? Guess not. I'm so confused....

So, if I buy this Nova G3 1X8tpi, do I need anything else to start playing around making boxes and small bowls? Are there other parts that go with this G3 that are must haves? I suppose a bowl gouge, but other than that, anything else?

Thanks a ton.
Joe

© 1998 - 2017 by Ellis Walentine. All rights reserved.
No parts of this web site may be reproduced in any form or by
any means without the written permission of the publisher.

WOODCENTRAL, P.O. BOX 493, SPRINGTOWN, PA 18081