Turning Archive 2007

Subject:
Make an Urn - what's it take?

Joe in a Cleveland suburb
>Hi.

Last Saturday we had to have out 18 year old kitty put to sleep.

She is being cremated. I was planning on making a small box for her, Gizmo, out of some scrap figured maple or something. Then I started thinking about my little Jet and wondered how difficult would it be to turn a small simple urn.

My turning experience is limited to once or twice a year use making knobs! Also, I don't have any fancy attachments/jigs and so on for bowl making. Just the faceplate, a drill chuck and a limited number of gouges and so on.

What does it take to make something like an urn? Are there any online videos showing any of the steps involved? I recall a video at our local library I plan to check out this weekend, but I thought I'd come here and ask the experts.

Maybe this would be too much due to lack of experience on my part. Maybe I shouldn't use this particular job as a learning experiment. So I might just end up making a nice little box for her. But, again, just thought I'd see what you folks think.

I tried searching messages before posting this question but I keep coming up with tons of messages due to the string "urn" which is of course in a lot of words... maybe I did it wrong.

Thank you.
Joe

© 1998 - 2017 by Ellis Walentine. All rights reserved.
No parts of this web site may be reproduced in any form or by
any means without the written permission of the publisher.

WOODCENTRAL, P.O. BOX 493, SPRINGTOWN, PA 18081