Turning Archive 2007

Subject:
Bad news, Good news

Ed Moore
>A little over 4 years ago I bought a Stihl MS310 with a 20" bar. I have been harvesting some red oak that is about 3 1/2 feet in diameter. As I was finishing up a cutting session I couln't restart the saw, so the next day I took it to a Stihl dealer to be fixed. I got a call today and was told that the crankshaft was broken and that the cost to repair it would be almost the same as the replacement cost. Not good.

I went to the dealership and asked for a recommendation. I felt that it wouldn't hurt to have a little more power and came home with an MS361 with a 20" bar. It has more power and is actually slightly lighter. The 310 is a middle grade saw and the 361 is in the pro range. I like the upgrade. I came home and attacked the red oak again and was impressed. The only pain is in the wallet, since there is a $200 difference in price. The good news is that the chains I have will also fit the new saw.

The repairman said that he has never seen a broken crankshaft on a Stihl before. And a bearing was apparently slipping also. Anyone else have a similar problem?

Ed

© 1998 - 2017 by Ellis Walentine. All rights reserved.
No parts of this web site may be reproduced in any form or by
any means without the written permission of the publisher.

WOODCENTRAL, P.O. BOX 493, SPRINGTOWN, PA 18081