Turning Archive 2007

Subject:
Using a hook tool? (long)

Carole Valentine
>I have a Kelton hook tool and am having some trouble learning to use it. Hoping someone can shed some light. First of all, I am assuming that a hook tool is to be used on end grain. Right? I have mounted a piece of very dry magnolia to practice on, but at this rate it would take me 2 weeks to hollow the piece. Should the tool only be used for fine finishing cuts? I looked at Darrell Feltmate's video on using a hook tool and that got me started, but it still seems very difficult to use. I will say that the very light cuts I can get with it leave an extremely smooth finish on endgrain, but I know I must be doing something wrong because it takes so much effort even though it has been honed and seems to be very sharp. I have a feeling that this is one of those things that needs "in-person" instruction. :( I am posting below a few photos of the tool, the shavings I am getting, etc. The angle of the tool can be adjusted somewhat and the set screw either tightened or loosened a bit as a sort of clutch in the event of a catch. Any tips are appreciated.

© 1998 - 2017 by Ellis Walentine. All rights reserved.
No parts of this web site may be reproduced in any form or by
any means without the written permission of the publisher.

WOODCENTRAL, P.O. BOX 493, SPRINGTOWN, PA 18081