Turning Archive 2006

Subject:
Cherry spoons & scoops *LINK* *PIC*

Dominic Greco in Richboro PA
>Hi Everyone,

Here is a photo I just took of (4) spoons I turned/power carved, and (2) scoops. These are Christmas presents for my Mom and MIL. Although my wife has indicated that SHE would like a full set of these as well!

All are made from cherry I found along the side of the road, milled into flat stock, and allowed to dry for 2 years. The really nice part is that just about all these items were turned from scrap wood that was cut from the flat stock. I knew I was right when I didn't discard those pieces!

The spoons all measure about 12" long and have varying sized heads. The scoops are about 5" to 5 1/2" long and are just under 3" in diameter.

Before turning the scoops, I finally broke down and purchased a copy of Richard Raffan's "Turning Projects". It was well worth it! His method for turning scoops was the easiest I've seen so far. I was able to turn a scoop in half the time I did before.

The bowl section of the spoons were power carved with a rotary rasp purchased from PSI's showroom in Phila PA. I was lucky they had any left. Since this was a discontinued item, I think I got the last pack they had. With the spoon clamped firmly to the top of my workbench I chucked this bit into my trim router and used it to hog out the material. Before I started I sketched out the perimeter of the bowl to be a guideline. I'll say this about rotary rasps, they sure can hog away material FAST!

When I was first researching how to turn spoons, I used the link provided to me when I was looking for information on scoops. It lead me to Woodturning Online. What a fantastic resource that site turned out to be! I have Bill Turpin to thank for that link. (Thanks Bill!) One gent on that site suggested using ball end mills to hog out the material. I purchased one from ENCO and made the mistake of getting a double fluted version. It takes too fine of a bite and clogs up WAY to easy. I should have gotten a single fluted version. Oh well, better luck next time! Luckily PSI had these rotary rasps on hand.

The finish is Mineral Oil followed by buffing and a liberal coat of bee's wax.

See ya around,

Dominic

© 1998 - 2017 by Ellis Walentine. All rights reserved.
No parts of this web site may be reproduced in any form or by
any means without the written permission of the publisher.

WOODCENTRAL, P.O. BOX 493, SPRINGTOWN, PA 18081