Turning Archive 2006

"Genesis", a Silver Maple Platter *PIC*

Steve Russell
>Hello to the group,

A couple of folks have asked me to post some of my work on WC. This platter is a very provocative example of Silver Maple with excellent color and curl. The piece is named "Genesis" because it represents a rebirth of my artistic endeavors amid the hectic pace of my production studio.

This was a historic Silver Maple that measured about 15 feet in diameter at the ground. I was fortunate enough to obtain a few pieces and I was honored to have the opportunity to work with such a magnificent tree. This platter is approximately 12" in diameter and is 1/4" thick. The floating contoured rim is recessed to fit the pad of your thumb when lifted.

I would be happy to post some of my work from time to time. Through the years I have often struggled with not only getting good quality photographs, but getting them optimized properly for printing and the web. In the past I have tried to post photos here without success (graphics do not like me). If this attempt to post a photo fails, I will be happy to sweep out John Lucas's studio in return for a wee bit of training.

Better Woodturning and Finishing Through Chemistry...

Steve Russell
Eurowood Werks Studio

© 1998 - 2017 by Ellis Walentine. All rights reserved.
No parts of this web site may be reproduced in any form or by
any means without the written permission of the publisher.