Turning Archive 2006

Subject:
"Genesis", a Silver Maple Platter *PIC*

Steve Russell
>Hello to the group,

A couple of folks have asked me to post some of my work on WC. This platter is a very provocative example of Silver Maple with excellent color and curl. The piece is named "Genesis" because it represents a rebirth of my artistic endeavors amid the hectic pace of my production studio.

This was a historic Silver Maple that measured about 15 feet in diameter at the ground. I was fortunate enough to obtain a few pieces and I was honored to have the opportunity to work with such a magnificent tree. This platter is approximately 12" in diameter and is 1/4" thick. The floating contoured rim is recessed to fit the pad of your thumb when lifted.

I would be happy to post some of my work from time to time. Through the years I have often struggled with not only getting good quality photographs, but getting them optimized properly for printing and the web. In the past I have tried to post photos here without success (graphics do not like me). If this attempt to post a photo fails, I will be happy to sweep out John Lucas's studio in return for a wee bit of training.

Better Woodturning and Finishing Through Chemistry...

Steve Russell
Eurowood Werks Studio

© 1998 - 2017 by Ellis Walentine. All rights reserved.
No parts of this web site may be reproduced in any form or by
any means without the written permission of the publisher.

WOODCENTRAL, P.O. BOX 493, SPRINGTOWN, PA 18081