Turning Archive 2006

Subject:
Pen Help Please

David Hammond, in Powder Springs GA
>I've got some more q's for my big 40 pen project.

I went ahead and sprung for the Beall Collet chuck to hold a pen mandrel in the headstock side, because I wanted as much accuracy as possible on these fancy fountian pens. And, I can use the chuck for other projects as well.

But I'm concerned about the tailstock end of this thing: normally the center of the rod just runs on the point of a revolving tail center. But the Craft Supplies rods that my buddy uses seem rather soft, and the center of that mandrel is going to get worn over time - right? Is there a better method for this? The mandrel from Pakcard and Lee Valley seems much nicer, but then again I'm just looking at pictures. And, if I bought pen kits from Craft Supplies, do I have to buy their mandrel?

Also, should I invest in a Oneway Tail Center, as I have a rather cheap tail center right now...

Thanks for the help guys,
And as a reminder to all of us - there's tons of info available in the Articles and Reviews Sections here! I just spent a good bit of time reading a bunch of them - what a great source of info!

David

© 1998 - 2017 by Ellis Walentine. All rights reserved.
No parts of this web site may be reproduced in any form or by
any means without the written permission of the publisher.

WOODCENTRAL, P.O. BOX 493, SPRINGTOWN, PA 18081