Turning Archive 2006

Subject:
Damages to turnings at art shows and exhibitions..

Steven Russell
>Hello to the group,

It's that time of year again when I gather up all of my turnings that have been damaged, broken, or scratched at art shows and exhibitions over the last year and add them to those from previous years. The box is always overflowing it seems! The excuses given by those who damaged the items range from creative to spur of the moment, but nearly all result in the same thing - they walk away and I'm left with a damaged piece that I can no longer sell.

Here are a few examples of some things in my "Ooops" box:

A $3,000.00 flame Box Elder platter that an exhibitor in the booth next to us at an art show damaged when they were hanging up their lights. "Ooops, looks like that "wood thing" is scratched." Actually, is was a chip out of the rim. Exhibitor refused to pay stating that it should be written off as a cost of doing business.

A really beautiful $500.00 inlaid bottle stopper that a small boy picked up and immediately threw down on the floor, crying to his mom that it didn't bounce. Mother refused to pay and walked off to another booth where little Johnny promptly broke another artists item worth $1,000.00.

A splendid $1,500.00 Carob Burl bowl with a delicate and provocative carved rim, that was dropped at an outdoor art show on the concrete resulting in a cracked and broken rim. The man who dropped it said he wasn't responsible since it broke so easily, it must have been defective.

A handful of writing pens that range from $350.00 - $1,700.00 each. Dropped at various events with the same old excuses given by those who dropped them, and none would pay for the damage. Luckily, none of my really expensive pens have been damaged yet.

A $250.00 delicate egg with a hand chased threaded lid. A little boy picked it up and threw it on the ground wanting to see it crack. No, it was not the same little boy mentioned above. Little Tommies dad said that was too bad and walked off.

A magnificent $2,500.00 Mesquite burl bowl that a lady scratched with her platinum wedding ring when she was feeling the inside curve. She apologized, but refused to pay saying that it should not have scratched so easily.

My box has about $10,000.00 worth of turnings that have been damaged over the last few years. While I have considered trying to rescue a few of them by various means, I have yet to do so.

So do any of you have a similar experience? What do you do with damaged turnings? Are you better at getting the person to pay for the piece when they damaged it? I have not had much success at getting people to pay for something they damaged. Many will just walk off although a few over the years have been kind enough to pay for the items that they, or their children have damaged.

It can be hard as well to monitor every single person in your booth at a large show. Little kids are the worst, but some adults are not much better it seems. The large open air art shows seem the worst, but I've had items damaged at some really nice events as well. I've also had things damaged in transit to exhibitions, or by the staff putting up the show. It can make you a bit gun-shy when you send a piece off to a show, but luckily these kinds of stories are the exception and not the rule. Still stings a wee bit tho...

To everyone of the group, please accept my very best wishes for a safe, happy and healthy holiday season and a happy new year.

Better Woodturning and Finishing Through Chemistry...

Steve Russell
Eurowood Werks Studio

Messages In This Thread

Damages to turnings at art shows and exhibitions..
Re: Damages to turnings at art shows and exhibitio
How about just a photo?
Re: How about just a photo?
I agree with Dom
You break it, you bought it....
Suggestion...
You have a point *NM*
Is insurance a good idea? *NM*
If I had a booth at a show with that much $$$ ...
© 1998 - 2017 by Ellis Walentine. All rights reserved.
No parts of this web site may be reproduced in any form or by
any means without the written permission of the publisher.

WOODCENTRAL, P.O. BOX 493, SPRINGTOWN, PA 18081