Turning Archive 2006

Subject:
Successful Art/Craft Fair (PICS)

Mike Rubes, Apex, NC
>Hi all,

The company where I work had an employee craft fair this last week and I gave it a go. I did mostly wine bottle stoppers and added a few pens and a few bowls. I sold a few bowls and pens, but the stoppers are what really went. Some were cork and some were the stainless steel ones I get from Ruth Niles. The stainless steel ones were very well received by the attendees. It always seems to be the case, but out of the 45 or so I brought, there were about 5 that I thought were really top notch, but only 1 of those sold! Someone actually dropped me a note later and bought two more of the "good" ones. I guess beauty is truly in the eye of the beholder. These were not any more technically better than the others, not a better finish or anything, but the shapes just seemed to work for me. Anyway, it was a fun day and I got to talk to a lot of people about wood.

Here's a few pics of the show:

One thing that turned out very popular was the "donut display" I saw this summer at Bill Grumbine's picnic. Ruth Niles had made one out of cherry and it really caught my eye as a great idea. I made mine out of scrap purpleheart. I think it turned out ok. The "Blue Suede Chardonay" was for later! :)

Here's a view of my side of the table. I shared the space with a friend who pours candles. That actually worked out really well as her candles have lovely scents so lots of people stopped by to smell and browse.

Here's a closeup of the stoppers. There were lots of different woods in there. Domestics, exotics and two pieces of dyed maple!

Finally, here's a shot of me and my table partner, Judi, at the start of the show.

This was only the 3rd craft show I've done, but it was by far the most fun. We had a good crowd and pretty steady traffic for most of the day.

Thanks for taking a look,

Mike

If it didn't sell, it's a Christmas gift in Apex, NC!!!

© 1998 - 2017 by Ellis Walentine. All rights reserved.
No parts of this web site may be reproduced in any form or by
any means without the written permission of the publisher.

WOODCENTRAL, P.O. BOX 493, SPRINGTOWN, PA 18081