Turning Archive 2006

Subject:
What bowl turning tools do I need? - Long

Joe Pack
>Craft show season 2006 is over. After a thousand or so pens, keychains, bottle stoppers, etc, with retirement looming at the end of February, and with Mr. Grumbine's two DVD's having inspired me, I am looking forward to moving on to bowls, but need advice on tooling. I am trying to sort out the tooling I genuinely need for bowl turning. I spent an hour looking at the 25% off Sorby tools at Rockler last weekend, but didn't really know what I was doing, so I kept my money in my pocket. Plus, every catalog or web sales page sells the "best," and, of course, the new bowl turner should have one of everything! Somehow, I trust my WC friends more than the marketing folks.

I have two lathes - a Jet mini that I do all my craft stuff on - and a Jet 1442 that I bought a year or so ago, but have not used much except for buffing. (I bought it early for three reasons...I planned to get a full-size lathe eventually when I retired, I had the cash from a good craft show season and, the main reason, I got it for a "below market" price that I couldn't turn down.

I have a good assortment of spindle turning tools - gouges, skews, scrapers, parting tools, "specialty" tools, plus a Wolvering grinding jig (including skew and vari-grind attachments). My only specific bowl tool is a 16" long, 1/2" diameter shaft Crown bowl gouge that Bill G. put a side-grind on. (That one feels too short and too light, but what do I know?) I also have an "original" two-wrench Nova chuck.

I would appreciate input from folks I respect as to what tools I should be looking at. I don't want to throw money away, but I don't mind buying quality the first time. I also am not interested in "getting by," only to wish six months later that I would have bought the "right" tool the first time....You get the idea.

I am looking for input re: gouges (size, weight, etc.), drives (4 prong, 2 prong, Steb...), chucks (do I want a different one?), tool rests, and anything else I have not thought of.

Thanks to all. Enjoy helping me spend my money! :-)

© 1998 - 2017 by Ellis Walentine. All rights reserved.
No parts of this web site may be reproduced in any form or by
any means without the written permission of the publisher.

WOODCENTRAL, P.O. BOX 493, SPRINGTOWN, PA 18081