Turning Archive 2006

Subject:
Dust Collection

DD
>Am looking at putting in a dust collector but am a bit overwhelmed by websites and their advice. I will almost exclusively use this collector for turning and associated sanding, but may use it occasionally for flat work. It will be used in the basement workshop. Most 1 HP dust collectors have a 4" inlet and up to 700 cfm airflow, but most seem to be in the 650 cfm range. A minority of these 1 HP systems come with 1 micron felt bags, the rest seem to be 5 micron or greater. The next size up is 1.5 HP, 1 micron filtering, and 1100 cfm +. They are slightly larger in size, have almost double the cfm, but will draw ~ 14 amps on a 110 v circuit, which means the DC will have to be on a separate circuit from the lathe (will set it up that way regardless of what size motor). Is 1100 cfm + overkill? Have read that one needs at least 700 to 750 cfm for an adequate dust collection system. Seems that a 1 HP DC is marginal. So that's where I am at - either overkill at 1.5 HP or marginal at 1 HP. Any advice out there? Would like to go to a canister system as opposed to felt, but the price grows substantially, so I'll stick with a felt bag. Any help appreciated.

Doug

© 1998 - 2017 by Ellis Walentine. All rights reserved.
No parts of this web site may be reproduced in any form or by
any means without the written permission of the publisher.

WOODCENTRAL, P.O. BOX 493, SPRINGTOWN, PA 18081