Turning Archive 2006

Subject:
Adios Amigoes

T Daniel
>I have hosted the turning forum for 4 years now. It has been a fun time for me and I have learned a lot. It is now time for someone else to take over as I need to spend more time turning and less time "talking". I took the job of host because no one else wanted it at the time but recently there seem to be numerous people who want the job so I think it best if I step aside and let them take it to the next level. I am a turner who tries to make a living from the craft and I am often in conflict with those who turn as a hobby only. Hobby turners and those who are trying to make a living from their turnings are by necessity two different groups. Things that seem reasonable to a hobby turner are not practical to one that is having to account for each minute of his time as a professional turner. I no longer turn for fun, I turn for profit; therefore I do not think I can speak for those who only turn as a hobby or to relieve the pressures of the 9 to 5 job. I turn to support my family. I cannot make things that are whimsical or "out of the envelope", I must make things that will sell at a price that will support my needs. I say this because I know that many of you are turning as a hobby only and you do not have these restraints. Because of these restraints I think it is better that you have a host who does not have to account for time spent on a project. If this site could be divided into two groups, one that is for those who turn for fun and another for those who turn for profit then I could easily host the "for profit" group but I cannot host the for fun group any longer because my heart is not there. It has been a fun 4 years and I look forward to seeing many of you at Gatherings and such.
TD

© 1998 - 2017 by Ellis Walentine. All rights reserved.
No parts of this web site may be reproduced in any form or by
any means without the written permission of the publisher.

WOODCENTRAL, P.O. BOX 493, SPRINGTOWN, PA 18081