Turning Archive 2006

Subject:
Robust update

Ed Moore
>As some of you may remember, my Robust 25 x 28 arrived near the end of September. I promised that I would write a review after I had some time on it. There are still some things I need to do before I feel that I can write a comprehensive summary, but I think it is time for me to tell what I do know.

1. The Tilt-Away Tailstock feature is worth its weight in gold. I have been making thin-stemmed goblets and after rounding the stock between centers I put it in a Vicmarc chuck with shark jaws and then rotate the tailstock out of the way. My elbows applaud every time I do this and I smile a little. ;^D

2. The spindle-lock is convenient and easy to use. Knowing that I can't start the machine when I might forget to disengage it is very comforting. As many of us who have A^3D^2 (Age-Activated Attention Deficit Disorder) I like this feature.

3. When the lathe is plugged in and the switch is released you start the lathe by turning another switch clockwise or counter-clockwise. CW is forward and CCW is reverse - no switch to set, just decide which way you want the spindle to turn and twist the switch, which returns to the neutral position.

4. I'm about to do some heavy work, coring some 24" red oak blanks. I'll get back to you on that after I have some experience.

5. I like the quiet and steady operation of the lathe. The alignment is excellent and when I take a spindle from between centers and put it in the chuck it is as if it was rounded in the chuck originally.

Opinion after two months: I am EXTREMELY HAPPY with this lathe. I made the correct decision for me and would recommend a ROBUST to anyone who wants a quality lathe. I'm a happy camper!

If anyone is considering a ROBUST and wants to test-drive one, you are welcome to come here and try this one. We are SE of Roanoke, VA.

Ed

© 1998 - 2017 by Ellis Walentine. All rights reserved.
No parts of this web site may be reproduced in any form or by
any means without the written permission of the publisher.

WOODCENTRAL, P.O. BOX 493, SPRINGTOWN, PA 18081